Monday, January 29, 2018

Next Stop...Europe!



One of my favorite activities is traveling. I love learning about new cultures and new places around the world.  My most recent trip was a spontaneous four day vacation to Europe. My cousins and I spent two days in London, England and two days exploring Ireland. While in London, we organized a self-guided tour of the city's most famous attractions. This included pictures in front of Big Ben and inside old phone booths. We were even lucky enough to go inside Buckingham Palace! Next, my cousins and I flew to Dublin, Ireland. While in Ireland, we took a bus tour to the Cliffs of Moher. The view from the cliffs was spectacular! There is so much history in Ireland, and I learned so much from listening to locals share stories. By the end of my trip I was exhausted! We had seen so much in just a few short days. I am so happy I was able to travel to these countries, and cannot wait to explore more of Europe.







Vocabulary
most recent (adjective) - did not happen too long ago
spontaneous (adjective) - last minute decision
organized (verb) - put together
self-guided tour (compound noun) - a route we created on our own
famous attractions (compound noun) - popular place where most people visit
Big Ben (proper noun) - nickname for a famous clock in London
phone booths (compound noun) - a building used to make private phone calls
Buckingham Palace (proper noun) - where the queen of England lives
spectacular (adjective) - beautiful
locals (noun) - people who lives in that area
exhausted (abstract noun) - very tired


Vocabulary Exercise
Fill in each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.

1. My friend called me and asked if I wanted to take a _________  trip to the beach in an hour.
2. I was ________ after soccer practice.
3. The Empire State Building is one of New York's most ______ ________, many people take pictures in front of the building.
4. My _____ _______ doctor visit was just two days ago.
5. I __________ a surprise party for my sister.
6. Since it was our first time in New York, we asked the ______ to recommend a good place to eat.
7. The view of the sunset was __________.


Grammar Point
Big Ben and Buckingham Palace are proper nouns. This means they are the specific names of a clock and a building in London. In the English language, we capitalize proper nouns to show they are the specific names of a person, place, or thing.

Your Turn: Label each word a common noun or proper noun by putting a check in the box.
 

5 comments:

  1. Such a great story about an impromptu vacation! It sounds like an exciting four days that you really made the most of. I love England and lived there for 3 years near and in London. I have yet to visit Ireland, but the cliffs and places associated with St. Patrick are on my list.

    Good entry overall with all the parts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS -- "Most recent" is an adjective in the superlative form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing experience! I would love to visit both England and Ireland one day. I like how you added a picture to your post because this would help students visualize what a phone booth is. It is common that many kids are visual learners and I feel that this is super helpful when learning vocabulary. The grammar exercise will allow students to think deeply and differentiate common nouns from proper nouns on the list. Great job Christina!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great entry! This is very thorough and answers any questions an EL might have! I would love to make it to Ireland some day. For now, I'll just have to live through this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you had a wonderful time! I like to grammar exercise you used. It is easy and clear for the students to understand.

    ReplyDelete